The Wrigley Building, designed by Graham, Anderson, Probst & White, is one of downtown Chicago’s most recognized architectural icons, dating to the 1920s. Following the sale of the property, new ownership sought to renovate the property, retaining the building’s name and restoring its historic integrity while positioning it to serve a new mix of 21st century tenants. The most historically sensitive work focused on the building’s exterior, lobbies and plaza, while floors above were completely renovated to serve new office users.
One of the more significant efforts was the removal of the screen wall between the two towers at the ground level. The 1920 plan for the building had anticipated an upper-level street that would run between the towers. Although this street was never built, the removal of the glazed screen and the 1950s connecting walkways accomplished the 1920s vision of creating an open passage and plaza.
Work on the plaza itself was extensive. The entire 1950s-era plaza was demolished down to structural steel. The area was rebuilt using new pavers in a consistent color and materials palette, defining a distinguished, large open space that presents an inviting outdoor amenity for passersby and caters to prospective retailers and restaurants.
Inside the towers, major public areas were also renovated. The building lobbies, in particular, had featured low ceilings from historically unsympathetic 1980s renovations. These ceilings were removed and replaced with modern interpretations of the original designs, returning the original historic volumes and utilizing 1920s marbles and mahogany.