Graham, Anderson, Probst & White, Union Station is one of the last grand
American railroad stations. When it opened in 1925 it was considered an
outstanding achievement in railroad facility planning. The limestone-clad
structure has an austere Neoclassical exterior with a massive colonnade on
the east side. The interior features a Beaux Arts-style Great Hall, a
marble-sheathed waiting room enclosed by colossal fluted Corinthian columns
with gilded capitals.
GP has designed several renovations and restorations of this historic structure, including the replacement of the famous marble staircases leading from the Great Hall, renovation and expansion of Amtrak’s first-class lounge, the restoration of the former Women's Lounge as the new Burlington Room special-events space, and the restoration of the Great Hall Skylight, as well as the ornamental plaster and historic paint finishes within the Great Hall itself.